After weeks of work, your website is almost ready to go live. You have well-written content, a great design, and your blog is set up, and ready to go live. Are you ready to open the doors and let the world know your site exists?
Maybe, maybe not. Trying to keep track of every detail for a new website is nearly impossible; there are so many things to figure out before you start inviting traffic to your website. If you want to make the most of your launch, this checklist can help.
The Overall Website
- Navigation is simple and effective.
- Design is unique, and fits the purpose of your site.
- All links work.
- Site is compatible with all major web browsers and mobile web browsers.
- The contact page is set-up and working.
- Informative about page is in place.
- Analytics account is set-up and active on the site.
- Spell-check and grammar check used. Twice.
- Favicon is in place.
- Admin automatically gets emailed about any on-site errors.
- All content includes well-thought out keywords.
- Tone is consistent across the site.
- No duplicate content; everything is original and unique to your website.
- Have a content use statement in place (Can people use your content? How?)
- Each page has a clear purpose and is concisely written.
- Meta tags, alt tags, and descriptions are well thought out and included where needed.
- Double check all of the details, and make sure any test copy (ex: ‘Finish this part later’) is removed.
- Copyright your work.
- Create a customized 404 page.
- A plan is in place for additional content post-launch.
- At least 10 posts are written, 3-4 live, and the rest scheduled and ready to go.
- You have an editorial calendar written up for the next few weeks.
- Plugins are in place and have been tested.
- Keyword research is complete and implemented on the website.
- You’re familiar with the Google Webmaster Guidelines.
- You’ve optimized all links.
- URL structures are optimized.
- Site is registered with top search engines.
- Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus accounts are already operational, and have been getting current fans excited about the website launch.
- Social profiles are connected to website.
If you can check off all of these items, your website is probably ready to launch. Do one last quick check through your site to check for any errors you may have missed, and then open the doors of your website for the world to enjoy.