Learning SEO can teach you more than just how to optimize your website. You can also learn a lot about business and life in general. Here are some of the best lessons you can learn from doing SEO:
- Hard work is important. So is patience. This is true in both the business world and in life. Just like in SEO, you get what you put into something. If you don’t put the effort into finding and correctly using keywords, organizing your site, or applying other SEO tactics, your site won’t do as well. And, just like in SEO, you can’t expect an instantaneous pay-off. It takes time to grow and develop a good thing.
- Just because someone is loud, it doesn’t mean that they’re always right. Some of the noisiest people in the SEO world get things wrong, a lot. Just because someone is a big name in the industry, it doesn’t make them perfect. By the same rule, most of the very best SEO specialists aren’t working for the big-name companies; they’re working for themselves in tiny offices, or in their living rooms. Don’t dismiss the advice of a smaller, almost unknown SEO company just because they don’t have the same backing as the larger companies.
- You can blame someone else for your problems, but you can’t fix them. You can only fix you. Tired of irrelevant or spammy sites taking over the lead positions on the SERPs for your top keywords? Work hard to make your site better, and move up to the top of the result pages the right way. Don’t worry about their site; worry about yours. Getting frustrated with the spammers isn’t going to solve anything.
- Nothing is more important than customer satisfaction. Forget SEO. If your site isn’t optimized for the people who actually visit and use your site, SEO is the least of your problems. Put your visitors first, and you’ll find that the SEO techniques you use will help to improve your site instead of making it even more confusing.
- Stop hesitating, and just go for it. Yes, you could spend weeks researching every SEO technique ever written about on the web, but you’re better off just jumping in and getting stuff done. Don’t let research become a reason to procrastinate on the actual work that needs to get done.
What have you learned from SEO?